In January of this year, I wrote to our GEMS community about the exciting second semester that was about to start...it only seems like yesterday that I sent out that message. So many wonderful learning opportunities and events have taken place since then that our days have gone by very quickly.
The 2018-2019 school year has indeed come to an end though, so I thought it appropriate to recap some of the highlights of the last six months.
- The Design Centre opened to the delight of our students. In my opinion, this facility is the best in Singapore and something that rivals any other international school in the world. We are very proud of this space and the creative learning opportunities it provides.
- The Nursery classrooms - our Little GEMS joined us for the first time as we opened two classes. It has been such a pleasure to have the two-year-olds with us.
- Refurbishment of the library - the space has been refurbished to be more inviting for students and has become an environment which enhances our student’s love of reading.
- Triathlon Academy - This exciting new offer is for any child in Singapore and it is being overseen by one of the world’s great triathletes, Emma Carney.
- We hosted the preparatory accreditation team from the Council of International Schools (CIS) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC - USA).
- The GEMS Compliance and Risk review team audit was conducted by GEMS Education-Dubai.
Focus on Academics
- DP and IGCSE external assessments have been completed and we eagerly await the results
- Introduction of WIDA and CAT 4 assessment tools
- International Schools Assessments - ISA (Grades 3 to 10)
- We have implemented the use of Callido to track ATL skills (Middle Years)
- The student work in the PYP Exhibition and MYP Personal Project were outstanding
- Book Week was a tremendous success and the number of readers in the school has increased significantly
Focus on the Arts
- Arts Week, as well as both the PY and SY Musicals, were an outstanding success
Focus on Sport
- GWA Games (held at GWA Dubai) has been talked about by our students ever since they returned home. We look forward to hosting the event next school year.
- We hosted a successful rugby 7s tournament and launched the Triathlon Academy
- The school swim galas were incredibly noisy and fun events for the swimmers and spectators alike
Focus on our School and International Communities
- We opened our new Parent Portal for EY/PY parents and shared our new Communications plan.
- The Family Fun Day was a highlight of the calendar...as was the staff band :-)
- Our students participated in activities around the world while joining the French cultural experience (GWA Switzerland) and the various camps (Gr 2-9).
- While a major development was the launch of our new House system and release of the new mascot...GO JAGUARS !!!
It has been an action-packed semester, yet over the holiday period, many of our administration staff will be working hard while setting up for the new school year.
For those families who are leaving us and moving to other countries, we thank you for your contribution to our community at GEMS and wish you the very best for your future. For those of you who are having a holiday, please take care, enjoy the time with your families and we will see you all again in the middle of August for the new 2019-2020 school year.
Head of School