With Season 3 drawing to a close, I wanted to update you on the progress of our sports teams, remind about our sports enrichment programme offers and highlight very exciting opportunities with GEMS (Singapore) Performance Athlete Programme.
GEMS (SINGAPORE) JAGUARS SPORTS TEAMS
- Basketball. Our 14U girls and boys teams are looking strong with both winning all but one game so far.
- Netball. The girls are enjoying their season, with the division 2 team stringing together a succession of wins and the division 3 girls learning more and more about the game and themselves with each match.
- Football. The 12U teams have both had an up and down season, recording some excellent victories and then letting themselves down with losses when they were in control of the matches.
- Rugby. The 11U and 13U boys have shown great character in all matches so far and have been inspired for their remaining fixtures by having Samoa, Russia and New Zealand Rugby 7s teams training here at GEMS (Singapore) recently.
- Touch. The 11U girls started the season in division 2 but were quickly promoted to division one on the back of some dominant performances that saw them beating teams by five and six tries each game. Their first matches in division one resulted in one loss, one draw and two wins! An excellent night of touch from these young ladies.
GEMS (SINGAPORE) PERFORMANCE ATHLETE PROGRAMME
- The group currently meets two mornings each week on Monday and Thursday from 7.45am until 8.30am.
- Attendance at all sessions is compulsory for all athletes in the program.
- The training sessions are a mixture of strength, conditioning, mobility and sports education.
- Students must be available for extra sessions as determined necessary during the school week.
- must be involved in a GEMS (Singapore) competitive school team for each of the three sports seasons
- preferably are involved in teams and clubs outside of GEMS (Singapore)
- are proven high performers in their chosen sports at various levels
- have short and long-term goals for their sporting development and success
- consistently demonstrate the GEMS (Singapore) core values as a student around school
- send an e-mail to Mr Tauroa to express your interest in joining the program at <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- complete a required application form
- have a coach complete a referral form (preferably outside of GEMS (Singapore)), and return it to Mr Tauroa
- meet with Mr Tauroa to discuss their application
The athletes in the GEMS (Singapore) Performance Athlete Program have already had the opportunity to spend time with two double Olympians. Singapore swimmer Mark Chay and Australian cyclist Annette Edmondson shared their experiences and knowledge with our student-athletes, including a chance to wear Annette’s 2018 Commonwealth Games medals.
For any other information, please see Mr Tauroa in the PE Office. Parents can request further information via the e-mail: email@example.com.
GEMS (SINGAPORE) SPORTS ENRICHMENT PROGRAMMES
Danny Tauroa, Head of Sports, GEMS World Academy (Singapore)