We are pleased to invite you to the annual Early Years and Primary Years Student-led Conference’s (SLC’s) that will take place on Thursday, April 19th and Friday, April 20th at GEMS World Academy (Singapore).
As an IB PYP school, we believe that our students are directors and owners of their learning. SLC’s provide a great opportunity for students to take the lead and share their progress, achievements and educational goals.
YOUR CHILD TAKES A LEAD
The main purpose of SLC’s is to provide opportunities for our students to reflect and report on their own learning to significant members of their family. This is a precious time for the students to ask questions and evaluate their knowledge and experience.
Classroom teachers will participate mainly as observers and support each child as/if needed. For example, teachers will be present on stage during reflection time. The students will share their goals and reflection on their learning. Parents are encouraged to submit their reflection as well.
WHY ARE STUDENT-LED CONFERENCES IMPORTANT?
- Provide an opportunity for parents, children and teachers to contribute to the reporting process
- It is a big component of our effective reporting and feedback to parents, which also includes the written report, Parent/Teacher interviews and portfolios
- It is an authentic context for students to demonstrate attributes of the Learner Profile
- It is an informative and enlightening way for parents to understand, share and celebrate their child’s progress
- Students are involved in identifying points of strength and areas for further growth
- Students are empowered and develop a greater sense of ownership of their learning
- Encourage students to be more reflective about their development and instil self‐confidence as they articulate the process of their learning and achievements
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT STUDENT-LED CONFERENCE?
All conferences are structured in two parts:
PART 1: 30-minute classroom conference
PART 2: Visiting specialist learning areas in the school*
*Depending on the timing of your classroom conference you may choose to visit these areas before or after the classroom conference, taking as much time as needed to enjoy the experience.
Children will support their parents by guiding them through their own progress and learning in the ways they interact and express themselves.
They will lead their parents through several areas of the classroom that the children, themselves, enjoy exploring. Throughout this process, children will engage their parents in sharing their school experiences.
Please keep in mind your child, in collaboration with their teacher, has spent a long time thinking about and choosing what they would like to share with you. They have chosen each activity and piece of work because it is of significant meaning to them and the progress they have made in their learning throughout the year.
We encourage each family to speak to each other in whatever language is most comfortable for all of you. Although English is the language of instruction, we would encourage every family to use their mother tongue to communicate during this conference.
You will accompany your child through various learning experiences in the classroom. Two other children will also be conducting their conference in the classroom at any given time.
Your child will be in charge of the conference and they will have planned specific tasks and rehearsed the conference in a specific order. Please allow your child to proceed with their schedule/plan. Your child will share his/her strengths and successes, supported by pieces of work that demonstrate a process, strategy or skill.
Together, you may experience a learning game, complete an activity or participate in a task that the student has already completed. Discussion around future goals and ways to improve are encouraged.
BOOK YOUR CONFERENCE TIME SLOT
You will receive detailed information how to book your conference time slot from your child’s home classroom teacher. You will be able to book the slots from March, 19th onwards.
- All conferences will be scheduled between 9:00 am and 4:00 pm on Thursday, 19th April and Friday 20th April
- NO additional dates will be allocated to schedule conferences
- Both Early Years and Primary Years SLC schedules will be sent home soon
- Please kindly note that this will NOT be a normal school day for our students. All students have to arrive with their parents for their specified conference time and leave with their parents at the end of their conference
- Upon arrival, children will formally introduce their parents to their Teacher and Teaching Assistant. They will then begin the student-led conference
- Other siblings are welcome to attend the conferences. However, children will need to be under their parent’s supervision
YOUR ROLE AS A PARENT
- Actively listen to your child
- Be positive and supportive
- Give constructive feedback remembering to ensure that this is a positive experience for your child
- Ask questions to promote depth and reflection
- Help set learning goals where required
- Remember what it was like to be a learner
- Please DO NOT initiate discussions with the teacher which exclude your child’s participation. Should you feel it necessary, your child’s teacher is always available by appointment for a meeting at a mutually agreed time following SLC days
Our students and teachers have spent many hours planning and preparing for the conferences and are looking forward to showcasing their individual learning journey.
This is an excellent opportunity for you to share your child’s learning journey and we would like to encourage all parent(s)/guardian(s) TO ATTEND the conference.
We look forward to seeing you at the conference and if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact your child’s homeroom teacher.
Neil White, Early/Primary Years Principal